What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I opened my own business, bought my first house, and tried yoga. All three were equally nerve-racking.
Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
So I actually never make resolutions, because by the time I really think about it it's mid-January and I've probably already broken whatever I woulda/shoulda resolved to do. So like MF, from whom I copied this Q&A, I'm continually trying to set goals that I will both recognize and feel satisfied once I accomplish them. This year it's a lost of business-related goals (accounting is important. and boring.) and trying to be healthier (ie: utilize the gym membership I pay the big bucks for).
Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Carrie and her husband welcomed baby Jack in May.
Did anyone close to you die?
I had friends lose grandparents which is very hard for me to hear as I remember viscerally what it was like to lose my Grandmother in 2008. And a dear friend lost his mom which is just heartbreaking.
What countries did you visit?
None. But I did make my first visit to Park City, Utah for a wedding and then road tripped to Denver (also a first). Love me some Wild Wild West.
What would you like to have in 2013 that you didn’t have in 2012?
Make a profit? Hah, this next year is huge for me at Bella and I'm so excited to reach the next level.
What dates from 2012 will be etched upon your memory and why?
February 18th I opened my shop is probably the strongest memory. I thought I'd be so nervous (I'm always nervous) but I woke up that morning and was just ready to go.
What was your biggest achievement of this year?
See previous answer.
What was your biggest failure?
I'm really bad at answering voicemails. Like, terrible. And that is not good for me personally, or professionally. So that is a constant struggle to keep on top of returning phone calls to clients (brides are impatient!)
Did you suffer illness or injury?
Aside from a couple of minor panic attacks (like when I found out the AC in my shop wasn't just broken, it had actually never been working), no, thankfully.
What was the best thing you bought?
My house!
Whose behavior merited celebration?
Like MF, it's been really fun to see my relationships with my siblings grow as we get older. VJA is about to graduate from college (I'm. so. old.) and LTA moved out of my parents' house which will make visiting Richmond a lot less dramatic. I'm proud of both of them.
Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I really did not enjoy the Presidential election this year and the comments and mindsets it exposed in those around me. I will never look at some people the same way again.
Where did most of your money go?
A deep hole of debt. But also on pretty dresses!
What did you get really excited about?
I had my first trip to Bridal Market in New York City and our biennial Bella conference with ALL 40 owners in Nashville this year and both were equally nerve-racking and exciting. I was really inspired leaving our owners' meeting.
What song will always remind you of 2012?
Hey I just met you...and this is crazy...but here's my number...so call me maybe?!
Compared to this time last year are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) happier (more scared! but happier) b) fatter (but happier!) c) poorer (self-employment is AWESOME)
What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I'd taken more photos (which for those who follow my instagram must sound ridiculous)- but my camera was super neglected this year. Also, gone to more country concerts.
What do you wish you’d done less of?
Sleeping when I should have been working (what up, "by appointment only" hours) or working out.
How did you spend Christmas?
A three day food, movie and present-fest with my family in Richmond. Christmas Day itself was presents, minimal yelling at each other, two fantastic meals and Les Miserables. So capped off with three hours of crying.
Did you fall in love in 2012?
Not literally, no.
What was your favorite TV program?
I watch most TV online after it airs, but I cannot wait for The Mindy Project each week. It just makes me happy.
What was the best book you read?
Oh geez, this is a hard one. I still haven't seen the movie, but I did finally read Anna Karenina. And that's pretty beautiful.
What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Lumineers! And then the rest of the country did, too.
What did you want and get?
A Clarisonic for Christmas. My face will never be the same. Also- to not commute from Northern VA to Baltimore.
What did you want and not get?
A boyfriend. Truth.
What was your favorite film of 2012?
Pitch Perfect. I saw it twice in theaters and have watched the DVD multiple times since it came out.
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I extended a bachelorette party trip to Chicago to spend my birthday there as well. I was 27.
What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having help at the shop. But I just can't ask/hire someone to work with me here until I 100% know what I'm doing 100% of the time myself. So...that may be never.
How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012?
I can wear whatever I want to work now, so I gave away almost all of my business casual attire from my previous job and embraced actually liking what I wore each day. So lots of shorts & blazers, polka dots, and a red lip.
What kept you sane?
What political issue stirred you most?
This may sound silly, but I found how people chose to respond to the Chik-Fil-A PR incident to be very indicative of their true selves. And that was disappointing for me regarding certain folks. Thanks for that, Facebook. Grr.
Who did you miss?
Lauren, because I did not see her nearly as much as usual and she is getting ready for a BIG YEAR this year.
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
That you never know what you can't do until you try. And 9 times out of 10, you really can do it.
Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Funny how a memory, sounds like a melody" - "Springsteen", by Eric Church
No comments:
Post a Comment